May 30 2012
If you haven’t already, make sure you check out Gok Wan’s new cookery programme 'Gok Cooks Chinese' on Channel 4.
Today we’re featuring a tasty recipe from the show - Gok’s Perfect Fried Rice.
Get your wok out and follow these easy steps:
- Neutral oil such as groundnut, for frying
- 2 Chinesesausages, thinly sliced diagonally
- 2-3 mediumeggs, beaten
- 300g cooked long grainrice, chilled
- 75g frozen peas
- 7 water chestnuts, sliced
- 50g tin of anchovy fillets in oil, drained and roughly chopped
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- - 1 tbsp light soy sauce, to taste
- Salt and ground whitepepper
- Chinese chilli oil
- iceberglettuce, leaves separated
Gok’s Perfect Fried Rice
- Heat a wok until medium-hot and add a dash of oil. Fry the sausage quickly on either side until coloured all over, with the white parts turning pink. Remove and set aside.
- Season the beaten eggs with salt and pepper. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the hot wok and pour in the beaten egg. Scramble the eggs, scraping the bits that are sticking to the wok. Aim for a well cooked through scrambled egg, separating into pieces.
- Once cooked through add the rice, scraping the bottom of the pan and tossing the rice as you heat it through. Once the rice is hot add in the remaining ingredients, except for the sausage.
- Continue to cook over a medium heat, tossing and mixing. Once the anchovies are beginning to melt into the hot rice, taste and season with pepper and a pinch of salt. Continue to stir-fry for 3-4 minutes, taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more soy if necessary.
- Serve the fried rice with the Chinese sausage on the side to scatter over. Drizzle with a little chilli oil, serving extra on the side, and wrap spoonfuls of the rice in lettuce leaves to eat.
'Gok Cooks Chinese' is on Channel 4, Mondays at 8.30pm